Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Weather Belongs to the Government

It's raining in Minnesota today.

Naturally, I'm interested to see how long it's going to rain and if there's a risk of frost so that I might cover my last crop of tomatoes overnight.

So, I navigate over to NOAA.gov because they seem to be right, most of the time.

This is the National Weather Service's site, so it's where every other news channel goes to get their weather information, as well.

However, when I went there today, I got this message:



So, evidently, weather reporting is a government function and if the government shuts down for a day, they won't leave up the last prediction set with the posting date and time.

This seems to me to be someone who is a little miffed at being not paid for the day and is demonstrating an "I'll show you" moment.

For the rest of us, I guess we'll only find out about the weather if it's an emergency because the people remaining behind to report on hurricanes and tornadoes evidently can't tell you that it's going to be rainy and mid-50s today.

No comments:

Post a Comment