Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Smell Technology

My daughter has recently started to sniff things.

Like, actually, <sniff><sniff>.

She thinks she's quite something because she can make the <sniff><sniff> sound with her nose now.

And as I was making a call yesterday, I wondered- what ever happened to smell-o-phones?  You know, the idea that technology would be able to somehow produce a smell from across the phone (or internet).

I was thinking- it can't be that hard, can it?

You'd just need to have a "palate" of smells that you can produce at the receiving end and some sort of chemical/molecule assayer at the sending end....then it's just a matter of "produce this many molecules of smell A, this many of B"... like a little smell recipe.

Now, I know that companies already make these air testers to measure particulates in the air.  I wonder why no one is putting these two together?   You'd make a fortune!

But, one request from my end- please provide an "off" feature...because I don't want to smell everyone that is talking to me over the phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment