Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, October 14, 2013

Reply to All

I think that this is the one function that really ought to be disabled in email...at least for everyone EXCEPT the originating author.

The rules of email say that you should never Reply to All, anyway unless you're the author because the author is the one that has asked for your feedback- not everyone else that was unfortunate enough to be listed on the CC list.

And I have found that the larger the CC list, more likely it is that people, who would normally remain silent, feel compelled to add their two worthless comments in the Biblically long email.  And the comments are always things like:

"I agree"

or

"I'm good with that"

or

"I'm free at 2 also" (no comma)

or...the one I ABSOLUTELY HATE:

"Thanks!!!!!!!"

It seems that the longer the CC list, the more exclamation points are birthed at the end of the globally beneficent "Thanks".

Let me tell you as someone who has to wade through the shotgun-style email blasts like panning for a possible gold nugget:

You're all a bunch of freakin' morons.

Please, for the love of all that is brief:

DO NOT REPLY TO ALL WITH YOUR PATS ON THE BACK OR ATTEMPT TO USE EMAIL AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR, GEE, MEETING TO DISCUSS SOMETHING.

Email is not a forum.

Email is a letter.

Please don't use up my valuable inbox bits with your CC reply vomit.  It makes me want to spam you back something fierce.

No comments:

Post a Comment