Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Can You Do This Math?

Today, I went to get my hair done.

Since it's a full hair highlighting by a pro, it's $100, which is shockingly on the cheap side nowadays.  At the end of the appointment, I was rather unethically told that the prices had gone up to $115.  When I looked shocked and repeated back, "$115?" the receptionist said that the prices had gone up "3 to 5 percent for the whole salon".

Now, this made me quite ticked...for two reasons.

One, yes, the price went up.

Two, they didn't notify me during ANY of the reminder emails or phone calls that the price had gone up, nor did they discuss it when I entered the salon, nor while I was sitting down to get my hair done.

But the part that REALLY pissed me off was this:

The difference from $100 to $115 is, uhm, 15%!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's not 3-5%, which would be $103 to $105.

When I pointed out this mathematical discrepancy, the woman (no, she was a brunette) cocked her head and actually said, "huh?"

And while it disgusted me to have this thought cross my mind because of the prejudicial nature of it, I had it none the less, which was, "So, this is why you're working at as a salon receptionist...because you can't figure out the percentage on $100?"

At least I didn't say it.

But I really wanted to.


No comments:

Post a Comment