Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Endless Scroll

Know what that is?  It's this new design where you scroll to the bottom of a page, and just when you think you're at the end, the page RELOADS and you have to scroll some more, only to have the page RELOAD again,

And again,

And again,

And again....

Who thinks this is a good experience?  I'd really love to hear from someone who likes this.  Everyone I talk to HATES this.  I'm in the web design business, and all the business owners I talk to hate this.  

I know I would rather not scroll at all- just put the pages in there!  So do business owners.  I mean, if I'm looking through a long list- say on Netflix- and I am looking for something interesting to watch, I don't want to guess where it was that I saw that movie- Oh, somewhere in the middle of the page-  I want to be able to say, "oh, yeah, right, I think I remember that was on page 3" and there are only 20 items on page 3, so it's easy to remember what it was that I wanted to select.

So, why are there endless scrolling pages?!

Simple:  it's developer-friendly.

Developers don't need to code in the size of the page or have the page resize when the browser is a different dimension.  

Developer's don't need to code in the page navigation rules or buttons.

Developer's don't need to code in cookies for remembering what was on page 3 when you're on page 20.

I think you're getting the picture here.

The only way programming will ever improve is if you tell a company what you  want...or don't want.

Be sure to share your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment