Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Give Me A Kiss

So, I don't know what it is about my in-laws.

It happened with my first husband's family.

It happens with my current husband's family.

It happened with both sets of paternal grandparents (the divorced/remarried life, you know?)

Heck, it even happened with my elementary school friend's family.

What am I talking about?

Kissing on the lips.

Honestly.  I weirds me out.  How can mothers kiss their children ON THE LIPS!?

I thought, with the frequent number of occurrences in my life, that perhaps it was my family that was weird in NOT kissing on the lips, but kissing on the cheek.

Nope.

I did some digging about kissing customs (which was hard, as you can imagine, since the topic has a tendency to find many sites on, well, adult mating rituals).  But what I found was this:


  1. The hand kiss-  men give to ladies as a form of prostration or bowing (sure you've seen this in movies...unless you live in Europe where they actually still have lords and ladies)
  2. The "European" kiss-  which (according to the American sites) is three consecutive kisses, alternating between cheeks. (no, just the faces ones)
  3. The "Bolivian" kiss-  which (again, according to American sites) is TWO consecutive kisses, one on each FACIAL cheek.


Other kissing customs I found were:


  1. Kissing the Blarney Stone (are you shocked that I hung upside own 3 stories up on a slippery castle for the experience of kissing a moldy old brick?)
  2. The Wedding Kiss- as in "You may kiss the bride"
  3. And then there were the other special occasion kisses, like New Year's Eve and mistletoe...


...but NOWHERE could I find ANYTHING about mothers kissing their children on the lips...and that being OK, much less their daughter-in-law or granddaughters.

So, I guess I just have the luck of weirdness on my side...perhaps I need to start chewing more garlic.

Pucker up




1 comment: