Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, May 6, 2013

Sesame Street Books With Questionable Lessons

I've already talked about how Elmo is banned my house because of poor grammar, so my feelings about the book entitled Good Job, Abby, staring Elmo and Abby, shouldn't be a surprise.

But what made me really sad was reading the other Sesame Street foam books. 

The first is Love Means..., again starring Elmo.  I had high hopes for this one since he doesn't actually have any dialog in the book.  The book walks the child through how love means taking care of pets, and helping others...
Sesame Street Foam-covered Board Books ~ Elmo, Love Means....

...and then falls flat when the moral page (e.g. the last page) says that love is when you are loved in return.

Uhm, WHAT!?  

What a crappy thing to say!  I compare it to the book I Love You Because You're You where the mommy and toddler go through different situations and the mommy still loves the toddler.  Granted, the book as another problem of being parent-specific (I would rather it have talked about BOTH parents) but it's still a good book for your children with lots of emotion descriptions.

So, the last foam book that I'm reviewing from Sesame Street is Ernie's Cheerful Smile.   I really though this one would be good since it's starring an ORIGINAL Sesame Street character.  
Sesame Street Foam-covered Board Books ~ Ernie's Cheerful Smile

sigh

The story walks through how Ernie is cheery in all types of situations- finds the silver lining- while Bert is miserable.  And then you get to the moral page where Bert is finally happy!  

Guess why!

Because he beat Ernie at a board game.

WTF!?  What are these books teaching children?!  Who is approving these stories with crappy morals about loving is really when you get loved back and you can really be happy when you beat someone else.

What's sad is that parents and grandparents buy these books for children without really READING them first, which only emphasizes the morals (oh, this is ok to do because Grandma gave it to me- it's how she wants me to think).

Be attentive parents- don't buy Sesame Street foam books.

No comments:

Post a Comment