Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Coasters and Glade

I was raise with coasters.

I was raised that if you set that drink on the table without a coaster, you'd risk the Wrath of Mom.  Very, very bad.  And if you made a mark on a table because you didn't use a coaster, you should pray for a quick death.

So, naturally, I have coasters in my own house (though right now, most of the tables are put away because I've got a toddler and don't want to have broken furniture or faces)

ANYWAAYY, the coaster.

I've been to other people's house's and some do and don't have coasters.  When they do have coasters, I know I should use one and with the houses that don't, I feel strange about setting my glass down and end up holding it most of the time.

What I don't understand is why, when you provide coasters to guests in stack on the table, IN PLAIN VIEW, why they would even think to set a drink anywhere without one.

I used to say something to these guests like, "Can you use a coaster, please?" but that (strangely) felt awkward to ask someone to obey the rules of my house.  Since then, I've just taken to bringing a coaster to the glass, picking it up, and showing the guest how a coaster works.  It saves the embarrassment of me having to ask and most of the time, the guest says, "Ah, thanks"...

...though I've had to come and reset glasses that are set down NEXT to coasters, a situation that boggles my mind about as much as trying to describe the size of the universe.

But as irritating as it is to have the coasters game, it is even MORE irritating when guests don't use the air freshener provided for their use in the bathroom.  Since I don't currently have my own, private master bath (fingers crossed for the next house), I have to walk into the bathroom, after my guests, and experience the side effects of their activities in said room.  It's not that I don't understand body functions- heck, biologist, remember?

But if you have enough time in said room to sing a song, then you have enough time to use that can of Glade kindly provided for your use on the back of the toilet.


No comments:

Post a Comment