Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Serving Size

I've shared my passionate opinion about the Fisher Price Teapot before.  This is but an additional rant about the product design.
Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Say Please Tea Set

The set comes with the teapot, two cups, a plastic doily, and three "tea cakes".  One of the songs that the teapot sings is about how there are "...two little tea cups, one for you and me, and three tasty treats, just enough to share..."

I ask you:

How do you split three tea cakes between two people?   Especially CHILDREN.  It's not like you can split the plastic in half.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The worst part is that the math lesson seems to be spreading to manufacturers of foods...or perhaps it's the other way around... hmm

Take for example these Shelly Senbei.

Wait, I should explain. Senbei are Japanese-style rice crackers that are salty on one side and sweet on the other.  Freakin' awesome!  They come in several shapes and sizes and many different brands.

So, the brand we're talking about today is the Shelly brand.
img_3983.jpg

While waiting for the baby bottles to finish sterilizing, I happen to be reaching for one of these and, since I had all of 5 minutes on my hands, I decided to read the nutritional information.

Serving Size:  5 crackers.

Uhm, they come in packages of two crackers....

so, you need to open 2.5 packages to reach the full serving size.

Now, I think that this is a tad illegal.  I remember when Weight Watchers was packaging their diet cookies as only have 50 calories each or something like that...and the serving size was 1/2 a cookie.  Remember that?  I think it was back in the late 90s.  The FDA put a stop to that- nutritional information cannot be for part of a unit.

Wouldn't that apply here?

Perhaps the makers of these crackers are related to the Fisher Price teapot designers...because neither can divide well.


No comments:

Post a Comment