Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

There's ALWAYS A Template

So, recently, I got this seemingly great job.  I get to work at home a lot (telecommuting) and frankly, I think it's about time that more companies do that.

But what has not improved in this highly modern approach is communication. More specifically, communicating expectations.

Now, honestly, I should know better.  I've been in the IT business now for 15 years in various fashions and I've pretty much found that Dilbert is spot-on for all offices.

Office Space is a documentary.

So when my new boss said that there isn't a template or set method for gathering requirements, I initially thought, "yeah right".   I prodded him for more details on what he would like to see. When he repeated that there wasn't a set process or template, I let the matter drop.

Boy, was that a mistake.

After now having been given the lovely, time-wasting task of reformatting my work, REPEATEDLY as new template elements arise, I can honestly tell you:

THERE'S ALWAYS A TEMPLATE.

It doesn't matter what business you're in, what tasks you do every day,

THERE'S ALWAYS A TEMPLATE.

This is one of the sage secrets of being a "senior" on the team.

Evidently, though, knowing that there is a template and prying that template out of someone...well, that's two different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment