Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bathrooms are on The Right

Ok, so, I guess it all started when I was kid and I heard this song about "There's a Bathroom on the Right".  Sung it that way for years.

My sister knew it the same way.

My mother thought it sounded like that, too....or was just humoring me.

My dad (notice the only one not mentioned above) had a good laugh when he heard me singing the words to that song.

It's when I found out what the lyrics actually are, "There's a Bad Moon on The Rise".

Go figure.  It's still family joke every time we're somewhere new:

"Where's the bathroom?"

"Well, isn't it always on the right?"

ha ha ha

But that got me interested in making up new words to other songs- I guess in a Weird Al kind of way.

So, here's a couple of my newly worded songs- they're kind of personalized for the equal-parenting world:

Hush little baby don't say a word
Mommy's goin' buy you a mocking bird
And if that mocking bird don't sing
Daddy's goin to buy you a diamond ring
And if that diamond ring don't shine
We're goin make you a valentine
And when that valentine is read
We're goin kiss your pretty head
And after we finish kissin you
We'll have to sing this song anew (back to the top)

So, there you go- equal time for mommy and daddy.  And I don't understand all that other stuff in the original, anyway.

Then there's the Ten Little Kitties (courtesy of my mom):
One little, two little, three little kitties
Four little, five little, six little kitties
Seven little, eight little, nine little kitties,
Ten little kitty cats
(put your hand on top of your head like cat's ears) MEOW!

And the latest one that we heard our nanny singing:  Put Your Finger in the Air... I just don't quite "get" this song, but here's what my husband and I devised (well, my husband is to blame for the nose verse) because we didn't know the real words:

Put your finger in the air, in the air
Put your finger in the air, in the air
Put your finger in the air, and you waive it here and there
Put your finger in the air, in the air

Put your finger on your head, on your head
Put your finger on your head, on your head
Put your finger on your head, are you blonde or are you red
Put your finger on your head, on your head

Put your finger in your nose, in your nose
Put your finger in your nose, in your nose
Put your finger in your nose and see how far it goes
Put your finger in your nose, in your nose

Put your finger in your ear, in your ear
Put your finger in your ear, in your ear
Put your finger in your ear, clean it out so you can hear
Put your finger in your ear, in you ear

Put your finger on your knee, on your knee
Put your finger on your knee, on your knee
Put your finger on your knee, can you crawl over to me?
Put your finger on your knee, on your knee

Well, have fun with your own verses :P

1 comment:

  1. I also added the extra stanza to Puff the Magic Dragon. It seemed too sad a song to sing otherwise.

    If you'd like to meet a dragon
    Go walk along the sea,
    And frolic in the autumn mist
    In that land called Hannah Lee.
    Puff, the magic dragon
    Is waiting there to play,
    So call his name and he will come
    On any given day.

    Refrain:
    Puff, the Magic Dragon, lives by the sea,
    And frolics in the autumn mist
    In the land called Hannah Lee.
    Puff, the Magic Dragon, lives by the sea,
    And frolics in the autumn mist
    In the land called Hannah Lee.

    ReplyDelete