Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rules of Literature, The

I remember learning the rules of using an index when I was in grade school.  I was thinking on this lately...thinking about how an Index and a Table of Contents are dying trends in writing.  Nowadays, people just type in search words into Google or Wikipedia...do they even teach indexing, footnoting, and tables of contents in school anymore?

The reason I ask is that when I got to download files, on say Amazon, the file is entitled:

"The_Allman_Brothers"

Now, this is completely perplexing to someone who learned that titles in an index, or a list, should be titled:

"Allman_Brothers_The"

And why is that?

Because "the" is an indefinite article.   It doesn't contribute to the content at all.  It's not like "a", which is a definite article- it actually contributes to the content.

Well, all of that aside, it is frustrating when you go to look for your new song title in your music folder and it's not there....because you're looking under "A" for "Allman Brothers".

Go freakin' figure.

Can someone please tell me why this has changed or should I just not be surprised that decorum and manners and grammar are falling to the way side in American culture?


No comments:

Post a Comment