Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, April 22, 2013

Fashionable?

My mother taught me to sew on the sewing machine when I was in elementary school.  She took my sister and I to the fabric store where we got a pattern that we wanted to make and some fabric.

Since it was the 80s, I made the mistake of selecting a pair of shorts with the little drawstrings up the side and some velour.  My mother, in all of her patience, just got them for me when I said that was what I wanted to sew....

...and that was pretty much the last thing I wanted to sew for a LONG time.  It wasn't until high school when I bought I vest from Limited that didn't fit through the torso right that I actually came back to sewing clothes.  Two little Princess seams later and I was thinking how easy it was.  

I actually did become a seamstress in my own right for awhile- I made 40s recreations (Vogue and Butterick released their Vintage lines of patterns) and I even did custom costumes for the Renaissance Festival- hand beaded and hand jeweled- the whole 9 yards (yes, I did make a kilt!)

So, I consider myself, a capable seamstress.

And because I'm a capable seamstress, I feel that I can confidently pronounce this design I saw in the Target ad today as the DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN.  

Xhilaration® knit or eyelet dress

It's obvious that someone sewed two different sizes together incorrectly.  I had always that the skirts and dresses with the uneven or sideways hems looked dumb, but this out-does them both.  And it's made all the worse by the choice of horizontal striped fabric- WHO WEARS those!?

The model must have been really desperate for the job to pose in this.  I mean, she isn't even looking at the camera...

...because she's embarrassed to be in that stupid dress.

I guess one way of looking at it:  if you bought it, you could easily teach yourself to sew a hem after you whacked off the tail in the back.

Or, as my husband suggested, you can pull the tail between your legs and wear it like a diaper- just sew a couple of buttons on the front.




No comments:

Post a Comment