Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Good Night Moon

I was reading my daughter one of her favorite books last night:  Goodnight Moon.

The first page starts off:
"In the great green room,
There was a telephone..."

I looked through the picture with my daughter and realized that the 1940's style phone in the picture a figment of history at this point.



When I thought further about this, I was also a little disturbed to realize that there is no such thing as the "sound of a telephone" any more.  Each phone, even landlines, all have different ringers.

So, what are we supposed to do when we teach our kids about telephones?

It's funny because even the Fisher Price music table has a telephone with a classically "ringing" phone.

I wonder about the day when my daughter asks me why we don't have a telephone (we actually have three:  mommy's cell, daddy's cell, and a skype phone).  And then I wonder about how we're going to explain the skype phone to the (I'm guessing) 2 year old.

And then I wonder if some of these classical books are going to get a face lift as far as the pictures go.  I mean, that style phone my daughter will only see in museums now.


1 comment:

  1. Is that rotary dial or touch-tone? ha! Such a big day to get those push-button phones.

    ReplyDelete