Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Insurance Non-Sequitor

I recently decided to change insurance.

And I'm glad I did.

I really thought that State Farm was a good bet and why change to another company, yadda yadda yadda.  One of my former coworkers had told me how the insurance game works, though-

When there's a big natural disaster in one area of the country, then they depend on the other areas to contribute through higher (and higher) rates to pay for the damage.  State Farm is the most popular insurance carrier in the South and with all their floods and hurricanes, I have watched my insurance rates get repeatedly jacked up for no explained reason.

So, change here can be a good thing.

But then you have to spend hours of your life answering the insurance questions:

How far do you drive to work? (telecommute)

Do you now or in the future have any intention of participating in rock climbing? (No)

Do you now or in the future have any intention of becoming an airplane pilot, a light weight airplane pilot, a glider pilot? (No- if you only knew how I felt about airplane pilots)

How much alcohol do you drink?  (I don't- I'm breastfeeding)

Has anyone in your immediate family died before the age of 60 from cancer? (uhm, no they're all alive).

Has anyone in your immediate family died before the age of 60 from a heart attack (Uhm.....I said they're all alive!)

Has anyone in your immediate family died before the age of 60 from a stroke? (can we shorten this interview a tad by just agreeing that my family members are alive?)

Do you dye your hair?

No, I just made that last one up, but if they could add more to their questionnaire that would give them a profile on my insurability, I'm sure they would.

One question that was missing, I felt was:

Do you consume caffeine?

Let's face it:  people who drink caffeine are usually doing it because they have migraines or they are exhausted and need the extra stimulation.  It's a drug and we need to admit that it is one...even if it's OTC available to everyone.

But caffeine can be quite dangerous and lead to death, as well as continued sleeplessness and anxiety and chest pains- all of which the insurance company asks you to disclose in their questionnaires.  And we all know that driving while tired is more dangerous than driving while drunk...if one can state it that way.  Wouldn't a high consumption of caffeine indicate that you're more likely to be driving while tired?

Weird that they kind of "overlook" the caffeine question, then, right?    

Wonder how many insurance companies are held by coffee plantation owners...

No comments:

Post a Comment