Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2013

There's Actually Something Different Between The Two

I recently received Glutino gluten free bread mix as a gift.  It turned out to be a great substitute for wheat flour when I tried to make cinnamon rolls.

YES, really!  I rolled them and everything!  You couldn't hardly tell the difference between the two (at least, that's what I was told).

I just know it was really good.

So, I continued to purchase the bread mix and tried a couple of other fruit bread recipes.

Well....

It didn't really hold up to the fruit juices so much.  Oh well.

sigh
muffins_us
I was already to give up ever getting to have a good piece of gluten free pumpkin bread, when I decided to try Glutino's Muffin Mix.

Now, I'm a HUGE skeptic when it comes to such nonsense about bread flour and cake flour and whatnot.  Yes, there is a difference in the milling fineness, but don't tell me about it being sifted differently because when you get it in a box (or a bag) in the store, it's all just heavy, lumpy flour anyway.

But, since the muffin mix was on sale, I decided to try it.

And I'm glad I did!  I decided to make simple blueberry muffins out of it.  I also had some Greek yogurt (Fage brand- some really, really SOUR high protein stuff that's closer to sour cream that it is to yogurt).  I figured that the extra protein from the Greek yogurt would provide a good lattice for the xanthan gum to give that fake gluten feel to the bread.  But don't try to use those Yoplait or Dannon brands- they're really more milk than protein.  Fage is 23 grams of protein PER SERVING.

...So in other words, I bought the mix, but I didn't use the recipe on the box.   Here's how I changed it:

EASY Gluten Free  Blueberry Muffins
Glutino Muffin Mix (1 bag)
1 Cup Fage brand Greek Yogurt
1 Cup granulated sugar
3 Eggs
6 T softened butter
1 t vanilla (I use Penzey's double strength)
fresh, washed blueberries patted dry *If you use fresh blueberries, you'll need 1-2T Minute tapioca to help absorb the extra juice.

Preheat oven to 350*F.


  1. Blend the eggs, butter, and sugar together until light and fluffy. (be sure you're using the whisk attachment to your blender)
  2. Add the yogurt and continue to blend.
  3. Add the vanilla.
  4. Add the muffin mix continue to blend well.
  5. Spoon into regular/standard sized muffin cups.  I HIGHLY recommend using silicone when baking gluten-free.
  6. Press a few blueberries (4-5) into the batter of each muffin cup.
  7. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350*F
These are LIGHT and FLUFFY with lovely air pockets in them

The downside:  they are still gluten free and do stiffen up a bit after a day, but a few seconds in the microwave will restore them. (Oh, and keep them in the frig if you used fresh fruit or you'll end up with a nice fermenting ground).




No comments:

Post a Comment