Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Funding for the Arts Saves Lives

I recently watched a documentary about the role that fine art (namely paintings and sculpture) played in WWII.  It's a story that I had heard when I was in Art School.  I thought it was one of those "textbook facts", that turn out to be more opinion than truth....

...but when you hear the same story in a documentary as an adult, you kind of start to wonder.

And what was this nugget of novelty?

That Hilter (yes, the same guy) was a disgruntled art student who was declined admission to art school but his two colleagues made it in.

And why is this so interesting?

Because, supposedly, the two colleagues were Jewish, and so was the Dean who signed the non-acceptance letter.

Puts a different slant on the whole Antisemitism thing, huh?

So, this documentary walks through the planned invasions of different cities following orders from Hitler to go after the specific pieces of fine art.  The documentary, called The Rape of Europa, wants to draw the conclusion that Hilter's only intention in the invasions was to collect the art.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I think that artists do like art.

I think disgruntled people have a tendency to seek someone to blame and, when they find someone, they want revenge for an imagined affront.

After having been turned down, myself, from art school, I know what that feels like.  I can see how someone can take it too far.

I can also see how, if the arts and music were properly funded by the public, more artists would be able to go to art schools...

...and such travesties would never have happened.

Think about that when you hear about our government continuing to cut the budget of art and music programs.

Think about how we might be breeding another Hitler.

No comments:

Post a Comment