Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Dot Game

I remember sitting in church with my sister and my mother- suffering from the boredom of youth- trying to stay quiet for the sermon.  I spent a lot of time looking at the pictures in my children's Bible, then all the pamphlets in the pew, then the pictures again....and so on.  Just trying to make it through the hour of boredom.  My mother got creative- she would pull out one of the pamphlets and draw a grid of dots and show my sister and I how to play the dot game.

Perhaps you've played this game?


It's where you "capture" the squares, or a group of squares, by taking turns drawing straight lines between the dots.  Whoever captures the most squares wins.

So, there's a little bit of strategy involved....

I, being the older sister, loved taking advantage of my younger sister's lack of strategy.

So, naturally, the dot game didn't last very long.

The trouble with the dot game, like all strategy games, is that you really need an opponent.  And like most strategy games, someone finally wrote a computer simulator for it.

And it's free- wee!

Needless to say I've spent a few hours playing; I've never been in the top 20 of a game's leader board.  It's just too bad that there isn't a job that could utilize my fine Dot Game skills.




No comments:

Post a Comment