Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

Sterling Example Of Incompetence

As part of getting a new job, the employer runs a background check.  It's supposed to just be a confirmation that you are telling the truth on your resume- and that you aren't an ex-con.  I've been through this before. It's usually the HR department that goes and calls your previous employers.

But this time, the HR department hired a third party background check company:  Sterling Info Systems.

Not only have they proven to be completely incompetent with finding my previous employers (uhm, name's on the resume!?) but when they called for a question about the information, they were so hard to hear because of their own crummy phone system and thick accents, that I found I was just yelling into the phone.  When I called back, TWICE, the agent on the other end hung up on me- TWICE.

I ended up having to send an email to some generic email address with some semi-private information.

The best part was the phone call I received two hours after the last hang up.

It was Sterling again.

I think it was even the same agent.

They said that they had no record of calling me at all.

So, uhm, the voicemail still on my phone came from.......?

This time it was a question about a different company.  When I gave the information, AGAIN, she was going to hang up on me.  I asked if she wanted to write down the information that they asked for the first phone call- she said that there was no record of anyone calling me- or that information was missing on my background search.

Of course, once I told her what the information was, she said, "Oh, yes, I see that now..."

Supposedly that's the end of the their ineptitude.

What's sad is that when I reached out to the HR department at the company that offered me the job, I got no response about this issue.

Hope it's not an omen of things to come.

Either way, I highly, HIGHLY recommend NOT using Sterling Info Systems for your background checks.


No comments:

Post a Comment