Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Another Company to Avoid

So, my daughter is currently eating baby food.

In other words, purees. 

Purees aren't just from Gerber anymore.  There are three other companies that are major competitors with Gerber now:

  1. Happy Tot
  2. Ella's
  3. Plum Organics

I like the idea of purchasing "organic" food for my daughter, though it is worth mentioning that "organic" doesn't necessarily mean that it's pesticide and hormone free...the FDA has a wider definition that that.

Anyway, I like the idea of organic.  And on top of that, I like the idea of having foods that are already gluten-free for my daughter, because I'm pretty sure that she's got gluten intolerance.

So, in my first time through the baby food aisle, I was depressed to see that these wonderful new products are mostly mixed products; you can't just buy "pears" or "yams" or "squash" like you can in Gerber.  I did finally find some Happy Tot single-food items online, but you have to be willing to purchase by the case...and hopefully, you kid likes it.  Then, you better hope your kid doesn't sprout an allergy to something in there because you'll have a heck of a time tracking down what it is that he/she is allergic to.

Under the circumstances, I did the best I could:  I bought Gerber single- foods that I could find, then I bought only the other brands that had one other food than what she'd tried before.  I figured that I could at least narrow down any allergic reactions that way.  One of the products I tried- well, my daughter tried- was Plum Organic's Broccoli Apple.

When I got it home and opened it, the product was brown inside- not a good color tan, but rotten brown and smelled rotten, too.
  
I contacted the company and they seemed all apologetic and they said that they would send out a couple of replacements.

That was the first week in December.  

After contacting them twice more about the same problem, I have yet to receive anything and it's almost March.

I have enlisted the assistance of the Better Business Bureau to help motivate the company to send replacements for their rotten food.  What disgusts me (besides the smell of that rotten broccoli) is that the company had a report of rotten food and has not seemed concerned by this problem in the slightest.

So, my advice to you:  A company that doesn't care about a report of rotten food from one customer is putting my baby and your baby at risk, so consume under your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment