Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Something to Ponder

It's zucchini season, which means zucchini bread.

But to make zucchini bread, you need to grate the zucchini.  I supposed you could probably puree it, too, which a blender, but that just doesn't work the same when you bake it because the water is already released from the zucchini, which means you add too much flour and the bread turns out like a brick.

So, it's a manual shred job.

As I got to the end of my first squash, I wondered,

Why doesn't a hand grater come with a knuckle guard?   After all, isn't it pretty much a mandolin?  I know mine has the mandolin slice side...

Mandolins come with knuckle guards...because you can seriously injury yourself by shredding your knuckles against the blades.

But, isn't it the same with a hand grater?

I know _I_ have sheered off my knuckle more than once using one (of course, that was back in the day because supermarkets sold pre-shredded cheese, so, there was A LOT of shredding to be done in a cheese-loving household).

But I would venture to say that I'm not the only person to have grated their fingers while using a hand grater.

When I asked my husband, he asked me how many people actually use hand graters anymore?

Cheese comes pre-shredded.

Everything else is usually shredded with a food processor....

Upon realizing he was correct, I had images of trying to explain to my daughter what life (and dinner) was like before shredded cheese in the supermarket.

I bet this is how the sliced bread revolution felt, too.

Old

1 comment:

  1. Funny thing - I just used my box grater yesterday. Shredded some mizithra cheese and wondered the same thing about finger protection!

    ReplyDelete