Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Americans Do Vacation Wrong

When I worked for a German company here in the US, the company had a policy about vacation...

..well, basically that there were very few days that you got to take at your leisure (ha ha).  Instead, they would take the vacation days and they would close the office for everyone.

So, everyone had the same days off.

When I lived through this, I was irked.  

I wasn't married.

I didn't have a lot of family things to do.

I would rather have worked through the holiday and taken a random day off.

But, I have drastically changed my opinion.  Hindsight is 20/20 and all.  

Why?

Because no matter how many vacation days your boss or company says they're going to give you, you never get a break in your schedule to actually take them.

If you artificially create a break in your schedule, you can be guaranteed of spam-level emailing and phone calls ON YOUR CELL PHONE.  

You're really not getting a vacation.  You're just moving your work hours around because leading up to it and coming back from it, you will be working overtime to keep up.

WTF!

I think it's because most Americans have this masochistic streak.  EVERY SINGLE MONDAY, I get to hear about these weekend warrior sessions where the people have worked all weekend.

Is that good for the company?  

Yes, I believe you should have bragging rights for that, but WHY WOULD YOU WANT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!?

Do Americans really care less about the rest of things in life?  

Do Americans not love their families as much as other cultures?

I think the jury is still out on that one.  I my opinion, I think that I would say that Americans value bragging rights over seeing their kids grow up or reading them a book or taking them on a picnic.

I don't know why the rest of the world idolizes Americans so much.  We're overworked and focus on all the wrong things in life.




No comments:

Post a Comment