Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Even Insurance Companies Sell Your Private Info

Today, I received a privacy policy from American Family.

Since it was one of those mass-printed form letters, I almost threw it out.

But I'm glad I decided to read it.

It turns out that they are required, by law to notify people that they are selling their information to "affiliate" companies.  While, they didn't specify who their affiliate companies were in this letter, they did tell me that they are providing my information to them...but that I could opt out of this "service".

"Service?"

Now, the opt-out method is to call this recorded message and leave your name, address, policy numbers, phone number, and indicate which services you want to opt out of.  If your spouse or children are covered by these policies, you have to give their names, too.

Oh, and you have to spell out everything.

Like, uhm, the policy number is unique.  If I tell you I'm Irish Lass calling, that should be damn good enough.

I'm writing this out because the recording is at supersonic speed.

AND it mentions that if you don't give all the parts, your preferences will not be saved.

Nice, huh?

So, if you have AmFam insurance of any kind call this number and give them all the information I wrote out.

1-888-312-2263 Opt out of AmFam Selling of your Information to Marketers.

No comments:

Post a Comment