Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Beggars Can't Be Choosers

I'm big in donating.

You know, one man's trash is another man's treasure?

And, yes, you get to write off the full price of the donation.  Sometimes, it's worth more to have the donation on your tax return than the $10 at a garage sale.

And so, when my husband and I removed some brand new bi-fold doors from our basement, we thought that we would donate them to Habitat for Humanity- a cause that I feel is fantastic- everyone should have a place to live.

Now, I know that these fine, oak, bi-fold doors are new, because when the basement flooded, we got new ones....

(and if we had know that we were doing to refurbish the basement at the time, we would have done it then, but we didn't).

So, we ended up with a set of fine oak, bi-fold doors.

Can you see where this is going?

I contacted Habitat for Humanity to let them know about these fine, oak bi-fold doors, thinking that they would love to have such fine building materials.

The answer:

No

Evidently, they don't take hollow paneled doors.

They didn't say why.

They didn't even ask if we had a non-smoking house (which we do).

They just outright refused them.

And at this point, I have to really ask myself:  you know, here is a set of fine building materials in like-new condition...why would you refuse them!?

Are you really such snobs that you don't want to have them just because they're hollow paneled (e.g. less expensive than the solid core)?

It kind of makes me wonder if they're refusing other fine building materials...and if they were accepting them instead of refusing them, how many more houses would be built for those in need?

I bet if you asked the families that you're building the house for, they wouldn't care.


No comments:

Post a Comment