Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Something You'll Never Seen Advertised Here....

The Kindle

or any other electronic "book".

Perhaps it's that I'm addicted to book mold.

Perhaps it's that I'm just old fashioned.

Perhaps this is just a continuation of my absolute abhorrence to how preschools are using tablets and iphones instead of books to teach children.

But I _despite_  the Kindle.

If I'm going to curl up to read a book, it's going to be- uhm- a BOOK.  I do too much reading of online stuff as it is.  Reading a book electronically seems like it's more along the lines of work than reading for pleasure.  I honestly don't understand the attraction.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm a tree lover and write on both sides of post-it notes.

I don't buy books that I won't keep- that's what a library is for.

I recycle the cardboard from the toilet paper.

I will carry back empty bottles if there's no recycling when we're out- even on vacation.

But there's just something about reading  A BOOK on an electronic screen that just seems wrong.

Yes, I have tried it.  I find that my eyes automatically slip into "work mode" where I just end up reading the first and last sentences of every page... and scan the rest of the words for some word that sticks out as important.  It seems like it's the equivalent to running through a museum with horse blinders on and saying you enjoyed going.  It just doesn't to the art form the time and respect that the authors put into writing.






No comments:

Post a Comment