Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Children's Songs

Barney really didn't help preserve the songs of our childhood.  My daughter got this Barney piano book from our friends and I was shocked at what I found.  Not only does the book require 3 hearing aid batteries ($5 a pop), but that purple marshmallow gave a rather PC wash to most of the songs that I knew from my childhood.  One of them:  Ring a Round the Rosie.

The real version:
Ring a round the rosie
Pocket full of posies
Ashes, ashes
We all fall down.

Yeah, it's grim.  It's supposed to have been a comfort song for children during the years of the Black Plague in Europe.  It's supposed to be grim.

Barney's version:
Ring a round the rosie
Pocket full of posies
Atishoo, atishoo
We all fall down!

So...now it's a song about allergies, I guess.

And then there's To Market (I'm sure you all remember the song from the original Miracle on 34th Street):

To market, to market
To buy a fat pig
Home again, home again
Jigga ji jig

Barney:
To market, to market
To buy a plum cake
Home again, home again
Market is late


What???

It's completely different!

And then there's the reversal of the Ants Go Marching.  It's supposed to be a count down starting with 10 by 10; with every verse, "The Little One Stops" to do something...that would be, wait- subtracting one from the total number...wow, so starting with 10x10, it would be 9x9!

Math is so amazing!

I honestly never watched Barney, so I don't know how many other songs he "altered".  I wasn't exactly in the age bracket during his broadcasts, but, like everyone else, I was VERY AWARE of how much that purple marshmallow and friends loved us.

I'm wondering what he would have done with "London Bridge"...it's supposed to fall down, afterall....




No comments:

Post a Comment