Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bandaids

So, my daughter has an incision from her surgery.

It's a lot like other incisions- it's open, it's leaky...

It needs a bandaid.

Or any disposable adhesive strip, to be fair.

I've been using up these old Disney Beauty and the Beast Bandaids that I got for a gift when the Disney film came out.  I have a way of holding on to neat things like that and not using them...I'm more of a have your cake person.  I have a ton of Sanrio pencils and erasers that I never sharpened as a child because I didn't want to use them up.  I had a Crayola crayon caddy full of 64 lovely Crayola crayons that I arranged in rainbow order....and never used because I didn't want to use them up (I still have them, actually- you can see the line on the paper where they sat in the caddy and didn't get bleached by the sun.)

Anyway, the bandaids.

Well, the great thing about those character bandaids is that they don't really stick very well. This is honestly one of the reasons why I still had some of the old Disney bandaids; fabric bandaids has come out at the same time, and those actually stuck REALLY well...well, they used to.

But I figured that the already decremented stickness of a character bandaid plus age, would be a great, low-stick bandaid for my daughter's owie.

And it was.

And there were only 10 of the 1" size in the box.

So, once we ran through those 10, we started using the 1" fabric ones- the generic ones from Target.  They also had a history of not sticking to anything.

They worked ok- a little harder to peal off than the character bandaids, but still not difficult.  So, then when we ran through those, I went to Target to get some more...

...and how surprised was I to find that not only could I NOT buy the 1" bandaids outside of the combo pack, BUT ALL OF THE BANDAIDS ARE ANTIBACTERIAL NOW!

This is wrong on multiple levels.

I actually stood in the store dumbounded a bit looking at the bandaids.  All of them:  Bandaid brand and the generics and Curad and 3M brand; fabric and plastic- all of them antibacterial.

The ONLY ones that didn't have the antibacterial on them were the character bandaids!

So, my big question to the manufacturers is this:  if you are allergic to these antibacterial products, what are you supposed to use for a bandaid?!

And that's not scratching the surface of the problem with breeding antibacterial resistant bacteria!  This ubiquitous antibacterial non-sense is EXACTLY what creates these super germs!  AND it weakens your own immune system because it doesn't have to work to get rid of these germs....until the antibacterials don't work- then, well, then you might be in a life or death situation.

So, while two bandaids will be required to cover my daughter's cut, at least it's just a plain bandaid.


No comments:

Post a Comment