Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Breastfeeding Beyond 6 Months

So, this is something I didn't know anything about.  I thought that if I could make it breastfeeding to 6 months, I was doing great.

It's now month 11 and I'm still working at it.

And it's WORK.

But I still am able to get some milk out, which is good.  I found out from a lactation consultant, after I stopped being able to pump out 2 oz/60+ mls out of every breast every 2 hours, that my milk production would naturally decrease after 6 months.  It's just part of the whole process.  I was really freaked out about it.  It's something that only I can give my daughter and it's something that I find is so important to me- well, I just never would have guessed I would feel that way about squirting milk out of my boobs.

So, there were some things that I have done that really have helped me continue to breastfeed.

  1. Fenugreek.  It's an herb. You can get it anywhere.  You take a couple capsules throughout the day and it helps your body convert food into milk.

  2. Pump every 2-3 hours, even at night.  I hear this so often, "oh, it's ok if you just let yourself sleep and skip pumpings/feedings."  These are the same women that don't make it past 8 months because their milk dries up.  Go figure.  If you want to continue to breastfeed, keep up the pumpings.

  3. If you bottle feed and breastfeed, use the smallest nipple size forever.  I did this because I couldn't breastfeed at work, but wanted to as soon as I got home.  We use the Dr. Brown's bottles, which are great.  But if you follow the nipple size instructions, the baby's pull gets weak, which means that they won't pull as much milk out of you ever time, thereby decreasing the volume you make..that's if they will take the breast at all after getting a fast flow nipple.  We started with the P size nipple.  When we increased to the Size 1 nipple because the instructions told us it was time, the baby stopped breastfeeding and did a lot of choking.  She also sucked down the milk in the bottle REALLY fast, but was still hungry.  This is because she was eating too fast.  When we went back to the P size nipple, she stopped choking and spitting up and she went back to breastfeeding.  

  4. She's 10 months and she's doing fine with the P size nipple.  When she wants it out fast, she gets it out fast.  She's completely in the middle of the age/weight chart, so she's doing fine. 

  5. Make sure you eat enough.  I just naturally found myself reverting to my old diet as I got more active.  However, that wasn't enough calories to keep me going and make milk or her.  As soon as I started to eat more, my milk came back.

  6. Make sure you drink LOTS of water.  I mean a LOT.  I have a 32oz water bottle and I drink at least 1/2 of it after every daily feeding and a full bottle at least after every evening feeding.  A good rule of thumb for whether or not you're drinking enough is: if you don't have to pee, you didn't drink enough.  You should have to pee every hour to two hours.

  7. I found that even with all of this, my milk still wasn't letting down very well after month 8.  I found that Acupuncture really helped.  She prescribed Plum Flower's Free and Easy Wanderer to help with the milk let down.  (NOTE the word PRESCRIBED- be smart about what you put in your body).

  8. Finally, stay away from any caffeine or alcohol.  They are diuretics and decrease your milk production besides.


Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment