Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, January 4, 2013

Nature


A few years ago, I started developing allergies.  I never really had them growing up except to a few antibiotics.  I suppose this is from a lack of dirt eating as a child; my great grandmother used to say that you're supposed to eat a quart of dirt a day...to which her daughter promptly got a spoon and a mason jar and went to work.  I would hate to have cleaned up that diaper- erwh!

But I think what she really meant was that you need to get dirty and get out into nature more.  This I completely agree with: I HATED nature as a child.  My mother used to be constantly telling me, "Go outside and enjoy the day!"

ugh

I remember I used to not have a problem with dirt and bugs- I used to make walnut paste by smashing the ubiquitous walnuts against the granite boulder at the Y where I grew up and eat all of the paste between meals.  That definitely counted toward some serious dirt eating.  But that all stopped when, one day I was sneaking a few walnuts from the tree at our house between meals.  I cracked it open and there was a disgusting worm inside, wriggling around at being disturbed.

...and that was the last time I ever ate a raw walnut from the ground.

Of course, there happened to be a moth infestation in my play kitchenette at the same time that might have impacted my desire to play in the dirt.  And a slug infestation in the garden patio next to my parent's room (I remember looking at the carpet with all the silvery slime trails running across it).  

Regardless, I find it ironic that I'm a big of a clay sculptor.  All that mud.

And I don't mind it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment