Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Feast or Famine

Well, this is a quick one today.

Awhile ago, I took a job with a company that promised many things.  Today, I got the word that, because their finances are depressed (and let me tell you so, was I!), I am on the chopping block come the end of January.

Now, this comes as a major upset because I took the job because they promised to have a job for me in feast or famine times- that I would be paid no matter what was happening with the client list.  I took a nearly 50% cut in pay for this insurance.

Today I get told that the company is foregoing this policy and, to boot, I will be getting the boot at the end of January unless something miraculous happens.

I'm exceptionally upset about this news because the boss laid the whole matter on my shoulders- like there was something I was supposed do about clients, which isn't part of my job.  I'm  the commodity that's traded as a consultant, not the sales!  And despite having a senior team of sales people who have been in the business longer than I, I am the one who has been doing most of the sales legwork.

It's just a moment to vent, but it really is quite ridiculous.  I think IT is the only industry where the commodities are supposed to be in sales, too.  You never hear of a racehorse contacting the newspapers for publicity or negotiating the breeding rights.  It's because the racehorse IS the commodity.

Just ridiculous.

And depressing.  So much for the famine safety net.

No comments:

Post a Comment