Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Child-Proofing

When I was growing up, I remember when we _got_ a microwave.  It was this huge box- the size of a television, and we couldn't cook much in it because they didn't have microwaveable containers.

I only mention it to give you an idea of the era in which I grew up.  There weren't plug covers and cords were taped down to the floor, not velcro-ed under some table.  I know that I grew up with stairs in the house, but we didn't have a protective gate over them- it was just forbidden to go near them and I was watched while I was in the room with stairs.  

Nowadays, houses are "child-proofed".  This is a ridiculous concept.  It's created by a bunch of lazy parents who would rather leave their child unattended and go off and play by themselves, rather than watch what their children get into.  I bring this up because my in-laws were over yesterday and asked if we were going to child proof our house more.  I told them my philosophy on child-proofing:  

The world isn't child-proofed, why should my house be any different?  Child-proofing leads to lazy, unaware parents when children are allowed to run amok and do whatever they want in a room because it's "safe".

Now, if you're a parent, you know that there is no such thing as "safe".  But I swear, ever home I've been to that has been child-proofed, the kids RUN through the house, they have no respect for the objects (i.e. furniture or other obstacles) in the room, and the parents pretend not to see any of this.  When these parents bring their children over to your house, they act the same way.  The parents don't pay attention because they aren't vigilant.  I was at a couple of parties over the past year when one of the toddlers went over the Christmas tree and removed antique glass ornaments because they're pretty....and the parents didn't do anything about it!  Like, if this was my antique glass ornament, I would expect the parents to remove the child from the room and give the child a quick "NO!"...and if it continued, a short, rap on a rump.  But these same parents allowed their older toddler to JUMP into couches and throw toys and run around a house for a Thanksgiving party this year.  And they didn't do anything this year, either. 

Now, I'm not saying to leave obvious DANGEROUS hazards in the reach of your child.  We have a split level where the steps lead down to a tile entry and there will be a safety gate at the top of those stairs.  However, there aren't any plug covers going up in this house.  And the toilet isn't going to have a lock on it.  (Honestly, if you let your child drown in a toilet, you deserve it.)  I will put the little grippy fish in the bottom of the bath for traction, but I'm not taping padded corners to my cherry wood furniture.  

Parents:  get with the program.  You need to be vigilant.  You need to TRAIN your child what is safe and what is dangerous.  You can't do that when you remove all of the hazards.  Even YOU don't remember what's dangerous.

2 comments:

  1. Safety also applies to watching the child with everyday items found in the house or even a toy. For example, you wouldn't let your child play with a sweeping broom like it was a sword where he swings out to hit the furniture, lamps, or sister. Nor would you let a child use a toy to bang on a door, cabinets, or sister, causing dents or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you are completely correct. It's part of a parent's responsibility to train their children to respect adult objects as adult objects. There is a time and a place for play, but it's not with age-inappropriate objects.

    ReplyDelete