Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Something Missing About Xmas

So, this year is the second year that we don't have cable.

Yes, we are one of those weird families that decided that an ever-increasing cable bill for crapping programming just wasn't worth it.  And now we have Netflix.  Yes, I resisted.  Oh, was a huge obstacle for my husband.  He tried to convince me for months, but it was when Comcast raised the cable box price and programming price in the same month (again) that I finally agreed.

And I love it.  For the most part, especially with a child, on-demand, auto-saving programs are the WAY TO GO!  You never miss an episode.  You can pause for a diaper change- you can watch whatever you want at whatever hour (heck, I hadn't even seen Fraiser before we got  Netflix and it's great!)  No more channel surfing through countless "reality" shows trying to find something good to watch.  No more disappointment that they decided to play a rerun when you get all settled in front of the TV.

But in the fall, and now in the winter, I find that I am missing something: the Ads.

I sounds sick, but I really miss the ads at Xmas.  There's something about the marketing of the evil empire of toys and made-for-TV-movies that just really gets me in the spirit.  It's just not the same trying to find them on Netflix, since you can't search by keyword "genre= Christmas" and no one puts "Christmas" in the title of their made-for-TV movies anymore- who would watch?

It's just weird, but I really miss it.  It's really going to be weird raising my daughter without "TV", too- it's like the X gens and Y gens will have nothing in common with my daughter's generation because there's no TV.

And with that, I'm signing off for the evening....


No comments:

Post a Comment