Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

If You're Sick, Don't Seek Medical Attention

This is something that I'm REALLY upset to find out:

If you actually go to the doctor to get treatment for an illness, including depression, you're shooting yourself in the foot for ever getting life or health insurance.

They WON'T insure you.

This makes absolutely NO sense to me.  The people that can afford to get treatment from qualified medical personnel are the same people that will be gouged for life and medical insurance premiums later on.

I'm NOT kidding.   I've asked for quotes from State Farm, AmFam, AflacMetLife, Medica, and HealthPartners.  (By the way, if I were you, I would NEVER use Assurant health.  They WON'T pay your doctor's bills and the premiums are ridiculous.)

I had a C-section after 72 hours of hard labor.

That counts against me.

I, like most other white-collar, middle class professionals, had a bout or two of depression.

Don't tell me you haven't.  If you're reading this, you have.

That counts against me.

In fact, if I knew then what I know now, I would do a lot of things differently:


  1. Forgo medical insurance.  Either find a free clinic or ask the clinic what their prices are for non-insured. Most places give significant discounts for being uninsured (like 2/3 the price).  You'll more than make this up for not paying medical insurance premiums.
  2. Go somewhere where they don't ask for your social security number.  Trust me- there's no such thing as doctor-patient confidentiality except on TV.  When medical and life insurance companies find out that you actually have been going to a doctor, they will jack up your premiums.
  3. Get indemnity insurance.  This is for MAJOR medical disasters- the ones where you are hospitalized or get cancer.   That's the insurance you want.  It's significantly cheaper that "medical insurance" and the rates will be a lot better if you obey #2.
  4. Get disability insurance.  You want something that is going to pay your full salary (or as much as you can get) if you get injured in #3.
  5. If you do want to go to the doctor for your "free annual check-up", save your concerns until then.  Then ask the questions like this, "so, I was reading about XYZ- what's that like?" or "my friend just came down with ABC- is that something I need to worry about?"


It just sickens me to think that we're in a society where you can't get medical attention when you're sick or you'll be paying for it for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment