Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Class That Needs To Be Added To School Curricula

Yesterday, I was making myself a piece of toast-

- well, since it's Gluten-Free bread, it's more of microwave-warmed bread because putting it in the toaster usually ends up with me shaking the toaster upside down to get the pieces out-

Anyway, I had a few minutes while I was warming the frozen slices in the microwave, and I was playing with the butter tub and glanced at the ingredients.  It was margarine, so I wasn't surprised that it was water, oil, and salt, and other ingredients.

When I saw Tetrasodium EDTA, I started to wonder-

How many people actually know what Tetrasodium EDTA is used for?

It made me think about the grocery store and how 99% of the food in the grocery store has ingredients on the package.

It also seems like we're doing ourselves a huge injustice by, first of all, not knowing what these ingredients do, and second, by continuing to not teach our children what the ingredients are.

I mean, isn't that the job of a parent?

We teach our kids what a steak is, what a potato is, what a carrot is, what an apple is...all of those children's books have those foods down.  The food pyramid (ha ha ha), focuses on the few ingredients around the edges of the grocery store, but not the majority of the food in the grocery stores.

But you never seen pictures in kids books or educational materials that includes Tetrasodium EDTA.

We really ought to be teaching our kids what they actually will be eating.

We really ought to be teaching Food Chemistry in high school- even earlier.  We should all know what Tetrasodium EDTA does and why it's in food.

To continue to ignore the way we eat nowadays is completely irresponsible.

(...and by the way, Tetrasodium EDTA is a ion donating molecule.  It's important to maintaining pH and product stability- so it doesn't separate)


No comments:

Post a Comment