Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Healthy Savings Program by Medica

My husband and I recently received a direct mailing from Medica about a new program they've started:  Healthy Savings.

You get a little scan card that's supposed to give you discounts for eating healthy foods.

So, as I opened the envelope, my head filled with images of me walking through the produce department and actually being able to afford to buy any of the fruits and vegetables I found there.

The message accompanying the card was rather cryptic, so I had to go to the website and signup to find out more.

And that's when I found out:

This is a dumb program.  Don't bother wasting your time signing up.

The program only has a handful of actual healthy fresh fruits and vegetables- and those have to be BRANDED.  The majority of items on this program are processed foods.  I don't see what is healthy about a Lean Cuisine entree that has 200-500% of the recommended daily sodium.  I also don't see what's healthy about Bleached, Enriched Wheat Flour- that's a big no-no, and yet there are MULTIPLE PRODUCTS that are suggested by this program as being healthy, such as English muffins and Pretzels; foods that could be good for you, like applesauce don't specify that you need to buy the UNSWEETENED applesauce to be a healthy choice.

If this program was actually about helping people change their diets, there would coupons for "$1.00 per pound of any fresh fruit" or "$5.00 your total purchase if you don't buy any products with added sugars".

In fact, this program doesn't care about what people are actually eating.  This is a thinly veiled attempt for food manufacturers to find out what type of health insurance people have and what they're buying every week for their groceries.  It's spying on you and making targeted marketing attempts at prefab food, rather than caring about you at all.

1 comment: