Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Crossword Misinformation

I like doing crossword puzzles.

I know that it's completely a pat on my own back to fill it out and say "I know that answers".

It's not like I'm into the NY Times Crossword or anything- just the local one.

But that may be the cause of the problem I recently encountered.

My daughter's recent cold (as my husband put it "fire the double-barreled snot gun) reminded me of a recent crossword puzzle clue of "Nasal Membranes".

Now, being an anatomy professor, I felt I could easily answer this question.

However, there were only 5 letters in this answer.

As I looked at the crossing answers, I saw a "p" in the middle...

...and it made me very mad.

I realized that the FREAKIN MORON who wrote the crossword puzzle felt that "septa" were nasal membranes.

This is completely WRONG.

Ever hear of a deviated septum?  (septum singular, septa plural)  A septum is a bony wall that makes an alcove.  So, like the BIG septum that separates your nostrils.  When this is not straight all the way back, it's called a "deviated septum".

Notice, membranes were not mentioned in this definition.

That is because a biological membrane is a single layer of cells.

It is not a bony protrusion.

I really made me wonder how many other incorrect answers in crosswords serve as educational material for the masses.

After all, you wouldn't know it's wrong until you know it's wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment