Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, September 16, 2013

About The Data Wants Your Data

I heard about this site from the local newspaper:  About The Data.

I presents itself like a personal information aggregation site that has been gathering information about you for years.

So, I did some digging and here's what I found:

The site, itself, just went live in August, 2013.

Not exactly a "long lived" information gathering site.

When I tried searching for myself, I get presented with a very scary page:


This page asks for some rather secure information- just to search for yourself.

Now, if you remember from my previous posts: all of the other information sites that unethically collect your information, you are able to search for yourself without divulging any information what so ever.

So, I was very skeptical and I clicked on the Terms of Use link. 

The Terms of Use (dated in September 2013) have several statements about how you have no rights to the information  you disclose on the site and that it will be used to market to you and sold to Acxiom's sister and client companies.

This sounded all too fishy, particularly with the reports in the newspaper where the author said the information Acxiom had on him was completely wrong.

So, my analysis of this site:  LEAVE IT ALONE.  


IT IS A FISHING SITE.  DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment