Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Eating By Example


My daughter has started saying full sentences now- one of the best moments in a parent's life!  I know you're dying to hear what it was, too.  Well, here it is:

"Eat Mommy's Food".

Kid you not.

The possessive S and everything clearly annunciated and pronounced.

So, I figure it's time to get her to help out a bit in the kitchen with food.  She's been drying dishes with her nanny for months now and I've let her "help" me make bread, too.

But it's a bit dangerous standing on the chair- even a chair with arms (why don't they make a step stool for toddlers to help out in the kitchen!?!), so I think it's time to get her a little kitchen of her own.

I when I was a little girl, I remembering having a little metal kitchen that we kept in the garage (well, it was California!) We had a spare piece of carpet that was put down in the middle- just like a real kitchen.  But the best part was when my mom would save all the little boxes of things (like those little boxes of Corn Flakes that you could buy in a set of 6?) and she would carefully open them and then reseal them so that we could have them in our kitchen.

And THEN it was just like a real kitchen.
childrens play kitchen set, Raggedy Ann & Andy, refrigerator, stove, sink, 1970s

Nowadays, there's TONS of plastic foods and even miniature empty boxes for the play kitchens.  Since I'm currently in the market for one, I thought I'd check them out on Amazon....and they're all $150 to $300!

FOR A PLAY KITCHEN!

It's a piece of plastic with some stickers!

So, naturally, it's time for Craigslist.

I found several worn-down looking kitchens and a few that said that they were "like new".  Each comes with a pile of food.























Now, I ask you, is this REALLY how Americans eat???  Piles of donuts, croissants, pizzas, and processed, boxed foods???  Can you even find something healthy in this picture?  I know I'm a bit of a snob here, but tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits, not veggies.  Garlic is considered more of a spice.  And a whole 2 eggs vs. the 3 ice cream cones and 5 chocolate bars.  Evidently, there are only grapes, oranges and bananas for fruits...oh, wait I think I see a watermelon.  Find something else...

It kind of makes me wonder what play kitchens are like in other countries...a Google search for German play kitchens brings some results for kitchens, but not the food...I know that Japanese play kitchens have a lot more fish and knives (personal experience here)...I don't even see an unprocessed meat in the picture above.

But you know the one thing that seems to be missing and is actually the most common American food?

Cheese

No cheese

Must not be made in California or Wisconsin



No comments:

Post a Comment