Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Females in Children's Books

My daughter received Emily's Balloon as a hand-me-down book from her dad.  And it's weird.

It turns out that it's a translated book, so I can forgive some of the awkwardness and lack of flow.

But as I was sitting and listening to my husband read it to her, the thought came to me:  This isn't a book for little boys.

And that sexist thought made me pause.

Why would I think that?  What's wrong with a little boy having a book starring a little girl?

And that made me look at the rest of the books in my daughter's library...


  • Spot's Christmas- about a little male puppy
  • Corduroy books- about a little male bear
  • Paddington's- about a little bear
  • Clifford- about a large red, male dog
  • The Giving Tree- the life of a boy
  • Curious George- about a male monkey
  • Barney- annoyingly creepy male dinosaur
  • Dr. Suess books (like Big Dog, Little Dog or Mr. Brown Can Moo)- about men and males.
  • Sesame Street books- Oscar, Elmo, Big Bird, Kermit...all little male monsters.   


All starring boys except two:  Emily's Balloon and Baby Bob's Book of Counting (which I'm not sure counts because she's a spin-off character from Barney- not a leading character in her own right).

I expanded my thinking to include children shows:


  • Timmy Time- about a little, male lamb
  • Shaun the Sheep- about a whole herd of sheep that is led by the clever Shaun
  • Dora the Explorer- about a little Mexican girl who has only male companions.  
  • Muppets- all little male monsters except the questionable-gendered guitar player in the band and Miss Piggy.


What is this really telling our children?  It seems pretty obvious when you look at it:

Women don't have leading roles unless they have all male-friends.

and

Women (like Miss Piggy) are shallow, obsessed with love, and high-maintenance.

It seems to give a lot of credence to the new feminist rating system for movies.  And it made me really sad that there isn't a better example of females than Disney Princesses where women are constantly being saved by a man in power.

Because we all know, that's NOT how it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment