Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, November 15, 2013

5 Hour Sandwich

I was making my lunch this morning and feeling a bit reminiscent.

Thinking about how my mom used to draw little characters on my brown bags....brown bags containing bologne rolls or half a PB & J sandwich, that would, of course, be squished into some weird glob by lunch time.

But as I closed up the jam jar today, I got to thinking about the 5 hours, or so, that my lunches would be at room temperature before eating them.

And that, of course, made me think:  wow, would I eat jam that's been out on the counter for 5 hours?  What about a slice of lunchmeat?

That that resulted in a contortion of my face followed by a nearly audible gagging noise.

But, again, my thoughts continued:  thinking about how nowadays, kids go to lunch with these expensive Lunchables and whatnot that are in the-wait- REFRIGERATED section of the supermarket.

And what is stamped clearly on the packages:

KEEP REFRIGERATED

So, why do we not provide refrigeration for our kids' lunches?

It's a bit ironic, really, but those kids that choose (or have to eat) the hot lunch at school are getting a healthier lunch than what we send our kids in brown bags, because the healthiest food is the food that spoils the quickest at room temperature.

Enjoy that BLT today...


1 comment:

  1. We used to take tuna fish sandwiches with mayo too.

    ReplyDelete