Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, November 18, 2013

A Dream Dashed

When I was a girl, I used to love Sleeping Beauty.

The Disney animated version.

Since then, I have watched every behind-the-scenes documentary of the movie.

It's really quite something.

The illustrators put quite a lot of time developing the unique color palate and linear appearance of the film.  They hired a dancer and made a real costume to dance around during the famous forest dancing scene....

A LOT of time and effort, here.

But evidently, the script writers didn't spend the same quality time researching the schematics of a spinning wheel, because at no time could Sleeping Beauty prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel, as demonstrated by this diagram:

The spindle is actually the round part of the spinning wheel that holds the bobbin.

It's round.

There's no pointy bits.

Now, this is quite distressing.  I actually learned how to spin wool just because of this movie.  And during my lessons, I found that what Aurora actually touches is the distaff.  It's a wooden pole used to tie long strands of material for spinning- usually flax.

It's not metal, either.

It's not sharp.

sigh.

It's just so sad.

And I'm so mad because as much as I'd like to continue to delude myself with calling it a spindle as I did in my innocence, I know it's a distaff and I can't help but want to correct it.

No comments:

Post a Comment