Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, March 11, 2013

What's in Your Dishwasher?

As I was pulling the dishes out of my dishwasher last night, it struck me that most of them were Tupperware-type containers and not plates, bowls, or glasses.

Why is it that dishwasher design has not changed since their introduction to the public in 1830?

By design, I don't mean the automation, which has been around since the 1940s.  I'm talking about the fact that there are two drawers for plates, glasses, bowls, and silverware.

Where does the Tupperware go?

I know that my family is no different than any others- we somehow manage to cram our containers into the top rack that is designed to hold dessert plates and drinking glasses, at which point, they always end up somehow overlapping each other, and we then pray that they get clean when we run the dishwasher.

How many families use more plates than Tupperware on a daily basis?  I mean, I have slots for 16 plates and 6 little slots for flatware.

Where is the rack for Tupperware?

Unless you're anorexic, you probably take at least two containers in your lunch- one the main course and one for your fruit.  Honestly it's probably more like one for the main course and one for cookies, but I'm not pointing fingers.

But my point is that I only use one dinner plate.

I have flatware for all meals.

I have 2-3 plastic containers PER DAY PER PERSON for lunch.

Somehow I doubt that I'm alone in this predicament.  Why, then don't dishwasher manufacturers design a dishwasher that has truly interchangeable/modular racks for holding either plates or that ton of Tupperware?  It seems that we waste so much vertical space with the current designs that it would be truly energy and water conservative to mandate a dishwasher redesign.


No comments:

Post a Comment