Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, March 22, 2013

Makes Me Grouchy

It's been awhile since I've read the Grouchy Ladybug.

I remember truly loving this book with the different sized pages and the whale tail that hits the ladybug.

Since then, I've had a bit of cetacean biology (that's the study of whales, dolphins, and porpoises), and here are some basic characteristics of cetaceans:

1. Mammalian (bear live young, breastfeed, breathe air, have hair)
2. They play
3. They talk
4. Their tales are horizontal, not vertical.

Now, I bring this up because after reading through the Grouchy Ladybug today with my daughter, I am afraid I will never feel the same about this book.

In fact, I've kind of lost a lot of respect for the author/artist.

Why?

The whale tale is vertical.

Vertical like a fish tail.

Vertical.

sigh.

I'm afraid I will always cling to the fact that the author didn't know the difference between a fish and a whale when I read the book.

And so another childhood special memory is burned to a crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment