Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Dirty Little Secrets

So, after my complaint about dishwashers not being designed for the modern family, I got to thinking about the other dirty little secret- the one that lurks in every kitchen, but no one will admit to:

The reused, non-usable zip bag.

You all know what I'm talking about.  I remember when they came out- they were so expensive that I remember looking longingly at the rich kids' lunch during school lunch time - all the multigrain PB&J sandwiches all Zipped up....and my poor little bologna rolls mashed at the bottom of my bag in a regular sandwich bag.

(ok, honestly I would never put bologna rolls in a ZipLock, anyway- there are toothpicks involved and that would definitely ensure that the ZipLock was a one-use only kind of bag.)

But I do remember the excitement of getting my first ZipLock bag, though I can't remember quite what was in it.  I do remember the house we lived at.  Funny, isn't it?

But I digress.

Every family I know- rich or poor- now reuses those zip bags.  So the question becomes:

How do you really get them clean?

Evidently, it's  socially unacceptable to admit that you reuse the zip bags, or there would be a ton of zip bag washers and dryers on the market.

But there's aren't.

Have you ever heard of a zip bag attachment for your washing machine?

I actually did find one...kind of.  It's made by some green group that hasn't thoroughly considered the implications of using the entire dishwasher cycle to clean a couple of plastic bags.  Yes, you save the plastic, but you've just wasted 20 gallons of fresh water cleaning them, plus the electricity to heat the water and (possibly) for the dry cycle.
Bag-E-Wash Plastic Bag Washer

But it does amaze me that there aren't more solutions for cleaning the suckers- even by the manufacturers.  It's like the manufacturers aren't getting on-board with the actual truth of the baggage- which is that we reuse them and attempt to wash them and attempt to string them over a variety of different obstacles to get them to stand up and open while they dry.

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually had cleaning methods that we as modern as the lives we live?

No comments:

Post a Comment