Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, March 3, 2013

MacNoise

In the Twin Cities area, there is an organization- well, it's a .com, so I don't think it's a real organization- that collects noise complaints about the air traffic in the area.  It's called MacNoise.

What I find sad about this is that there's a need for this service at all.  If the FAA would mandate that airplanes fly at an altitude that would keep the planes away from the houses, then it the houses would rattle and shake when the airplanes fly over head (except for those morons that purchased houses right next to the airport).

Well, this is a truly stupid service.  I've made numerous complaints about air traffic since the FAA lowered the flight ceiling (meaning that airplanes can fly at a lower altitude, which means we get to listen to them deafeningly buzz our house now).  The online forms asks for this type of information:

1.  Your address
2.  The date and type of the incident
3.  Select the checkboxes next to the noise complaint
4.  Select the airport for which the complaint is about
5.  Select which runway for which the complaint is about
6.  Select whether or not the airplane you heard is arriving or departing.

Now, the first three- yeah, I get it.  All necessary to triage the problem.

The last three- what!?

How am I supposed to know which airport the plane is connected to as part of the noise problem!?

How am I supposed to know which runway!?  I mean, airports are pretty tightly controlled for that kind of thing, especially since 9/11.

How am I supposed to know if the flight is arrive or departing, or frankly, just in a holding pattern!?

I'm only HEARING the airplane!

Now, since I have skylights, I do see some of the smaller planes when they decide to buzz the house at a frighteningly height that I can almost see the hair color of the pilot from my living room.  But otherwise, I don't know anything about this airplane other than the pilot is an asshole who is buzzing my house!

But it turns out that it doesn't really matter.

The service doesn't do anything but send a letter asking the pilots not to do that.

How nice of them.

I hope karma gets them on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment