Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Mall of America(n Fashion)

In walking through the Mall of America recently, I noticed, again, the sad trend that I see in malls nowadays:

It's all clothing.

I do understand why.  Heck, I'm one of the best examples of why it's all clothing.  It's because it's cheaper to buy most things online than in a store, but clothing, well, clothing you have to try on.

And there you go, Amazon and Ebay can be blamed for the demise of the American mall

It's quite sad, though, that our lives have become so uniform and prepackaged that there isn't anything worth purchasing in person.

Well, I should say that anything that is worth purchasing in person because it's new or artistic cannot afford the store fees for a front at the mall.

Again, quite sad.

I think that American mall owners are going to soon realize that they own decaying pieces of the late American 20th century history, and not cash cows like they think they are.  They can continue to raise prices for shopkeepers, but no one is going to buy their products, so, why rent the store front to being with?

I find it sad because I have such fond memories of going to the local mall as a child and walking to the two different bookstores: B.Dalton's and Waldon Books.  Oh, and the Sanrio store.

Hello Kitty!

So, it's quite sad that this entity called the American mall (which, by the way, is a complete fascination to other cultures around the world), is decaying.

It's not dying.

It's already dead.  It's just taking awhile to realize it.



No comments:

Post a Comment